DO ANY OF THESE SOUND FAMILIAR?
WHAT IF YOU COULD...
- Engage in a highly-organized game plan for tackling the demands of the big band drum chair that could be smooth and stress-free? (SPOILER ALERT... IT CAN BE.)
- Imagine being able to ditch the reading struggle for good. You’ll go from a headache to having a strategic jaw-dropping counting system and ability to interpret your charts and expand your knowledge of styles?
- Eliminate taking months to develop highly effective counting skills and set-ups... Picture being able to count big band figures/rhythms in just a couple of hours?
- Develop the right method, repel the old habits to help you build your confidence and grow your skills?
- Master this whole chart reading and big band drumming thing, so you can share your zone of genius while playing music with your big band with confidence.
JAZZ & BIG BAND DRUMMING
An 8 Week Online Course Teaching Jazz and Big Band Drumming
HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL GET
🥁 8 week strategically crafted and designed classes transforming your knowledge and abilities to apply and expand your jazz and big band drumming.
🥁 Chart reading checklist: style, road map, ink. Learn the process to quickly scan the chart and gain as much knowledge as possible before playing.
🥁 Playing big band set-ups that will clearly and affectively support the band. You will learn sixteen unique set-ups the work for slow to fast tempos.
🥁 Ride cymbal techniques for slow, medium and fast tempos. You will learn how to adjust your ride cymbal playing techniques from six strokes (slow tempos) to four strokes (medium tempos) to only two strokes (fast tempos).
🥁 Hi-hat techniques for 2-beat, “rocking the foot” and “heel up.” You will learn three different hi hat peddling techniques for different tempos, dynamics and different sounds.
🥁 Bass drum techniques on how to “feather” and “drop bombs.” You will learn three bass drum peddling techniques for different tempos, dynamics and sounds.
🥁 Snare drum techniques for cross-stick, rim shots and stick shots. You will learn how to accurately achieve a variety of different sounds from your snare drum.
🥁 Jazz shuffles, 3/4, ballads, Latin, R&B, funk and rock play-along tracks. You will be introduced to the most common grooves and tempos used in big band.
🥁 Discography of recommended big band recordings. Listening to big band music is essential to playing it well. There are some classic big band recordings recommend for your musical development.
🥁 There are 99 DVD tracks and 101 MP3 tracks included in the book that accompanies this course. With this course you will receive a copy of, Drummer's Guide to Big Band written by Garey Williams and endorsed by Jeff Hamilton, Tommy Igoe, Steve Houghton and Daniel Glass.
TWO PAYMENT OPTIONS
- Instant Access
- Over 6 hours of instruction
- Video lessons & Tutorials
- Lifetime Access
- Downloadable PDFs and MP3s
INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE
- Module 1: Swing Feel and Jazz Comping Rhythms - $97 Value
- Module 2: The Role of the Jazz and Big Band Drummer - $197 Value
- Module 3: Chart Analysis and Setting Up The Big Band - $97 Value
- Module 4: Embellishing Your Set-ups, Jazz and Shuffle Rhythms - $197 Value
- Module 5: Jazz Two-Beat and 3/4 Swing - $197 Value
- Module 6: Brushes - Ballad Strokes Swing and 2-Beat Strokes - $197 Value
- Module 7: World Beat Rhythms - $197 Value
- Bonus: Contemporary Rhythms and Ride Cymbal Playing Techniques - $197 Value
Total Value = $1,573
YOUR PRICE IS JUST $297
THIS IS FOR YOU IF...
THIS IS NOT FOR YOU IF...
❌ You want to just play by ear and follow the band instead of reading and leading the band.
Steve Houghton (Professor of Jazz and Percussion - Indiana University, PAS Past President)
“Garey has put together a wealth of great material in a very effective, logical manner. His practice tips, musical philosophies, and performance suggestions are right on the money. The play-along tracks are fresh and musical with Garey really getting “inside” the music. This will help many aspiring players for years to come.”
MEET GAREY WILLIAMS
Garey Williams has been teaching drumming to students of all ages for over 30 years. As a professional drummer, he has been a 1st call session player in the Pacific Northwest for both live gigs and recording sessions. Notable musicians he has played with include Diana Krall, Kristin Korb, Bud Shank, Barney McClure, Howard Roberts, Joe Williams, Dizzy Gillespie, Clay Jenkins, Inger Jensen, Eddie Daniels, Bob Hammer, Greta Metassa, Johnny Conga, Michael Powers, Darren Motamody, Geoffrey Castle, The Jim Cutler jazz Orchestra, The Jazz Police, The Full Circle Jazz Ensemble, the Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra, as well as many other stars of the local scene. As a member of the jazz fusion trio Ecstasy In Numbers, Garey has been reviewed in Modern Drummer, Rhythm Magazine, Percussive Notes, and numerous regional and local newspapers.
Besides teaching and performing, Garey is the author of several method books including The High-Hat Foot & The Drummer’s Guide to Big Band with WizDom Media with distribution through Alfred Music.
Good stuff to know
Daniel Glass (Royal Crown Revue, Brian Setzer, author of The Century Project , The Roots of Rock Drumming , and The Commandment)
“Playing in a big band is one of the most complex and nuanced jobs that a drummer can face. Garey Williams’ new book The Drummer’s Guide to Big Band sets out a highly-organized game plan for tackling the demands of the big band drum chair. In addition to a thorough explanation of charts, grooves, song forms, set ups and other figures, the book includes a multimedia disc with both video and audio examples. Great stuff. I look forward to using this book with my own students!”